Senior Helpings Program in New Mexico
Many seniors who are living on low or fixed incomes must split their resources between food, utilities and medical expenses. Often the first thing a low-income person or family cuts from their monthly expenses is food. More than 20% of the people we provide food assistance to are senior citizens who are struggling to make ends meet, even with government assistance programs such as social security. One way our New Mexico Food Bank provides food to low-income and hungry seniors is through our Senior Helpings program.
About our Senior Helpings Program
Our Senior Helpings Program distributes 37-pound food box that includes fresh and non-perishable food monthly to about 1,200 seniors monthly (13,500 annually) through low-income senior housing sites and other food assistance sites. While the food box was created to supplement what a senior can afford to buy at the store, the food box is often the only food source a low-income senior has all month long.
How to Help
Our Food Bank needs your ongoing support to keep our Senior Helpings Program going. We couldn’t help the 15,00 seniors we feed every week through this program and our partner agencies without your help. Please support our Senior Helpings Program by:
- Making a one-time $50 donation to help two seniors
- Creating a recurring monthly donation by joining our Roadrunner Club
- Hosting a food collection drive and fund drive at your business or with your community-based organization
- Volunteering at our Las Cruces or Albuquerque branch locations
Together, we can feed vulnerable and medically frail hungry seniors with your gift today. Contact us today to see how you can help take part in finding solutions to ending hunger in New Mexico!
Looking for ways to help? We have provided a few tips to get involved right away.
- Help Roadrunner Food Bank solve hunger by making a monthly donation – set up a monthly recurring gift.
- Receive email from the Food Bank by opting in.
- Learn about how to volunteer at the Food Bank – click to register
- Learn how you can serve in other ways by visiting our Take Action Page