Hunger and Poverty in New Mexico
Every week right here in New Mexico, Roadrunner Food Bank provides hunger relief to 70,000 children, adults and seniors who do not have enough food. We distribute more than 28 million pounds of food statewide every year. Our Roadrunner Food Bank would not be able to meet the growing need for access to food sources in our state without your help.
Ending Hunger and Poverty in New Mexico
Hunger and poverty go hand-in-hand in New Mexico. Eighty-three percent of families experiencing hunger earn $20,000 or less a year, leaving many families to make difficult choices. In fact, hungry households report they are making tradeoffs instead of being able to afford food.
- 61% of households choose between food and utilities;
- 66% of households choose between food and transportation;
- 59% of households choose between food and medical care, and;
- 48% of households choose between food and housing.
You can read more about the experiences of hungry families by reading the Hunger in America 2014 report.
Get involved and help hungry families by:
- Donating your time. We have ample volunteer opportunities available in our Albuquerque and Las Cruces locations for you or your group.
- Donating food. We distribute more than 26 million pounds of food every year around New Mexico. Contact us about how to host a food drive or help you host an online food drive!
- Donating money. Every dollar you donate to Roadrunner Food Bank provides five meals. Make a one-time donation or recurring donation through our monthly giving club – the Roadrunner club!
- Invite us to give a presentation. As part of helping the Food Bank, ask the Food Bank to come and give a presentation to your group.
- Attend or schedule a tour. When you volunteer, you can ask the Food Bank to provide a quick 15-20 minute tour of our mission or schedule a separate time and date for a tour of our work.
- Share and view our hunger videos and fact sheets. One way we continue to educate the community is through several hunger videos. View our hunger videos here. Learn about our hunger programs through our hunger fact sheets. View/download the fact sheets here.
Without your help, we could not provide food assistance to the 70,000 hungry people we reach every week!
Make an Online Donation to Roadrunner Food Bank
Making an online donation to our hunger relief efforts is simple. Make a one-time donation or a recurring monthly donation by joining our Roadrunner Club! Together we can solve hunger right here in New Mexico! Contact us today to help us meet the rising need for food assistance!