You can take action and help solve hunger in our state. The best way is by making a one-time or monthly financial donation and encouraging others to do the same. Your financial commitment allows us to acquire healthy and nutritious food for the benefit of our hungry neighbors. You can also start a team online to raise funds as a group right from your computer. From your team’s online efforts, we can then source food throughout the state, regionally and nationally.
We recognize that you may also wish to help by hosting a food drive in your place of employment, faith community, school, or organization. Food drives can be held any time of year during a time that works for your group.
Organizing a Food Drive
To host a successful food drive, be sure to organize your food drive and prepare the tools you will need in advance of the start date. This should include: how you will advertise and communicate the details about the food drive to your group, the use of collection boxes to hold the food in, and coordinating the delivery of the food to us or one of our partner hunger-relief organizations. Here are a few basic guidelines to get you started:
- Set a start date to begin collecting food items and an end date when items will stop being collected.
- Schedule a date for your group to take a tour of the Food Bank.
- Find boxes or bins to place in various areas in which to collect the food. Be sure to label them with details about the food drive.
- Periodically remind your group where and how to donate food items.
- Collect non-perishable food only (items that do not require refrigeration).
- Please do not collect any homemade food items or any foods without ingredient labels. We follow strict food safety guidelines and procedures which do not allow us to distribute food without labels or ingredient information.
- Any food collected should be delivered to Roadrunner or one of our affiliated partners. Our fleet must remain focused on delivering food to distribution points across the state. We do not have enough vehicles in our fleet to pick up donated food from a food drive.
Helpful Tools for Your Food Drive
How to Donate Food Collected During Your Food Drive
When your food drive is completed, please contact us or one of our partners listed below 3-4 days in advance. Once you contact us, we can arrange a day and time to bring the food to Roadrunner or one of our partners. As noted above, our fleet must remain focused on delivering food and we are currently unable to pick up food held as part of a food drive.
Start an Online Food Drive
Get your group involved in helping solve hunger by starting an Online Food Drive. It is the easiest and most cost effective way to feed our hungry neighbors. For every $1 your group and team raises, we are able to distribute FIVE meals to help feed our hungry neighbors. Your team’s efforts help leverage the amount of food we can distribute. All funds raised through your online efforts will help us acquire and distribute more food.
Get a group of 10 or more people to participate and contribute to your online food drive efforts.
- Create your very own Online Food Drive team.
- Set a goal of how much your team would like to collect. Your team’s custom webpage can track your team’s progress.
- Send reminder email messages asking your team to give and participate.
- Encourage your team members to invite 5-10 additional people to contribute to your team’s efforts.
The online food drive is ideal for businesses to engage and involve employees in charitable activities. It is also perfect for faith communities, fraternities and sororities, schools, and other groups to get involved and help.
Thank you for helping provide life-changing meals to hungry people all over the state. If you have any questions about food drives, please contact AnnaMarie Maez at 505.349.8921 or firstname.lastname@example.org. In Las Cruces contact Rudy Carbajal at email@example.com or call 575.323.5151.
Looking for more ways to help? We have provided a few tips to get involved right away.
- Help Roadrunner Food Bank solve hunger by making a monthly donation – set up a monthly recurring gift.
- Receive email from the Food Bank by opting in.
- Learn about how to volunteer at the Food Bank – click to register
- Learn how you can serve in other ways by visiting our Take Action Page