(top of frame)

SNAP Outreach

What is SNAP?

SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as “food stamps.” This program provides monthly benefits that help low-income households put food on the table. About 47 million Americans who participate in the program have increased access to healthy foods available at grocery stores and farmers’ markets. These supplemental funds also help ease the financial burdens families face, allowing them to preserve their budgets for rent, prescriptions, and necessary living expenses.

As one of the hungriest states in the country, this program is important to the people of New Mexico. About 1 in 5 New Mexicans receive SNAP benefits and use them to purchase food in their communities. These benefits help contribute to the local economy, as every $1 of SNAP that is spent generates about $1.70 in economic activity.

SNAP Benefits are typically issued monthly through a debit/ETB card.

Roadrunner Food Bank and SNAP Outreach  

New Mexico has an 81% participation rate among eligible SNAP households. There are many barriers that prohibit the remaining eligible 19% from successfully participating in the program.  They are often are not informed about the program and have not yet applied to receive them.

Roadrunner Food Bank’s SNAP Outreach Program works to reduce some of these barriers and increase participation in this important program. By providing SNAP application assistance and education at food distribution locations, more New Mexicans can become informed about their potential eligibility and learn important information about how they can obtain benefits.

Am I eligible for SNAP Benefits?

  • SNAP is for anyone who meets the eligibility requirements including single individuals, families, seniors, the disabled, and people experiencing homelessness.
  • A SNAP household includes people who buy and prepare meals together. There can be more than one “household” under one roof.
  • Owning a home or a car, or having savings in the bank does not necessarily disqualify you from eligibility.
  • Immigrants of qualified status (legal permanent residents for 5 years) and children of undocumented immigrants can still apply.
  • Homeless people may qualify for food stamp benefits.
  • Many working households need help with food. You can be employed, unemployed, or receiving unemployment benefits and you may still qualify.
  • SNAP is designed to provide benefits for everyone who qualifies.

Get Help Applying for SNAP

Trained Food Bank staff and volunteers can help you apply for benefits provided by the State of New Mexico’s Health and Human Services Department. We are trained to answer questions about SNAP, can help you with information about how the process works, assist you in successfully completing an application and connect you with other valuable resources.

  • Start by completing this short online form
  • You can also call toll-free at 844.684.6268 or email snap@rrfb.org.
  • Feel free to apply directly to the State of New Mexico’s online service called YESNM.

Why SNAP benefits are important for Hungry New Mexicans

New Mexico has high rates of hunger compared to other states. According to the latest Hunger Study,  1 in 6 New Mexicans struggle to put food on the table for their families. As the largest hunger-relief organization in New Mexico, we touch the lives of 70,000 hungry people every week, but the need is still very high in our poverty-stricken state.

Hungry people often need both charitable hunger programs like the Food Bank and also SNAP benefits in order to cover all their food needs.  Many simply do not have anything left over for a food budget, or only a small amount to purchase food on their own. With both sources of food, hungry people are able to count on a more consistent meals.


(top of frame)